Search information pages
Access to articles
All research articles are open access
Every peer-reviewed research article appearing in any journal published by BioMed Central is 'open access', meaning that:
- The article is universally and freely accessible via the Internet, in an easily readable format and deposited immediately upon publication, without embargo, in an agreed format - current preference is XML with a declared DTD - in at least one widely and internationally recognized open access repository (such as PubMed Central).
- The author(s) or copyright owner(s) irrevocably grant(s) to any third party, in advance and in perpetuity, the right to use, reproduce or disseminate the research article in its entirety or in part, in any format or medium, provided that no substantive errors are introduced in the process, proper attribution of authorship and correct citation details are given, and that the bibliographic details are not changed. If the article is reproduced or disseminated in part, this must be clearly and unequivocally indicated.
For details, please see BioMed Central’s Open Access charter.
Access to other articles
BioMed Central also publishes a number of journals with a substantial amount of reviews and other premium content in addition to primary research articles:
- Alzheimer's Research & Therapy
- Arthritis Research & Therapy
- Breast Cancer Research
- Critical Care
- Genome Medicine
- Genome Biology
- Stem Cell Research & Therapy
While all original research articles (as well as supplements) in these journals are open access immediately on publication, they also publish value-added content such as specially commissioned reviews and commentaries that are available by subscription for an initial journal-dependent period. After expiry of the subscription period they become ‘open access’.
All articles are immediately and permanently available online. Unrestricted use, distribution and reproduction in any medium is permitted, provided the article is properly cited. See our open access charter.
A small number of articles (such as articles co-published with other publishers or preprints) are 'free' to access without charge; these are not ‘open access’ articles.
By 'open data' BioMed Central means that these data are freely available on the public internet permitting any user to download, copy, analyse, re-process, pass them to software or use them for any other purpose without financial, legal, or technical barriers other than those inseparable from gaining access to the internet itself. BioMed Central encourages the use of fully open formats wherever possible.
While this logo appears, access to the full text of these articles requires a subscription to the journal; after an initial journal-dependent period, these articles become available ‘open access’. Abstracts are freely accessible.